Greener than green watercress cous cous recipe

I have my end of year exams in three weeks. Yes, I am faintly terrified. And by faintly, I mean totally.

So, my days are mainly spent sat at my desk, staring out the window at my garden and the beginnings of a beautiful summer, and trying to cram all sorts of anatomical, pharmacological and physiological details into my tiny mind. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

There are two highlights of my day. The first is when Mr Flicking the Vs comes home from work and go for a walk around the local park in the last of the sun, and the second is when I get to get up from my desk and eat lunch. Half way through the day, I get to put the books down and give myself a rest, and stuff my face - three activities I enjoy greatly!


Food in the exam period tends to go a bit weird. When it comes to lunch, I need to make something that's tasty, healthy, and doesn't take forever to cook, so I can get back to revision without too much delay.

And then there's the other food. The procrastination food. The food I make when I've just had enough of staring at a screen and I've written so many pages of notes, I have hand cramp that would make Wolverine cry like a baby. Then I go a little bit weird, and start making really elaborate, time-consuming food because I really need to procrastinate. Heavily. I decide I need to start making bread, or pickles, or ice cream -- or anything where I need to spend lots of time in the kitchen, and not in the study.

Nope, I don't understand it either. It's daft. Still, it does mean that I've been eating well recently. Here's one of my quick and easy recipes - and with a green colour like this, it's the closest thing to outdoors I'll be seeing for the next three weeks. Best served with the sort of bread that takes three hours to make.

Greener than green watercress cous cous recipe

Pesto ingredients
50g watercress
50g almonds
2 and a half tbsp olive oil
Juice of quarter of a lemon
small garlic clove

Other ingredients 
100g broad beans
4 asparagus spears
one leek, sliced
two garlic cloves

Also

100g cous cous (uncooked weight)

How you do it
Cook the cous cous according to packet instructions, or however you like. I'm not fussy. You get to chose.
Fry the leek in oil until cooked through. Few minutes should do it. Add the garlic for another minute.
While that's cooking down, chuck the broad beans into some boiling water for three minutes, chuck the asparagus in for another couple of minutes, then drain and run under cold water until cool. Dry off (the vegetables, not you.)
Blend up all the pesto ingredients together until smooth, then add the veggies and pesto to the cous cous and mix throughly. You should end up with something that looks the same colour as the Incredible Hulk.


Comments

  1. I think if you've 'got' to spend time making something, it might as well be something that looks as tasty as this. You have to balance the right and left sides of your brain for the best exam results, right? Might as well balance it with delicious, creative cooking. It will help you concentrate better if you're well nourished by food and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The three activities you highlight are what life is about. Cherish x
    I think this is a great bowl of green, I haven't had couscous in a long while and now you have me thinking about making this, maybe for lunch - thanks for inspiring. Best wishes for the exam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your exam study - am sure all that good green food will put muscles on your brain.

    BTW a friend of mine once cleaned her (very high) kitchen ceiling rather than finish a major essay - I would prefer you approach to cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, the procrastination dance, I'm a practitioner as well. Although, your dish looks much better than any of my feeble attempts to avoid the inevitable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, good luck with the study and exams Joey - sounds like a tough 3 weeks but then you will be done! This looks like great study food and a helpful dose of green if you're stuck inside on a nice day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts